Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Preventing Duplicate Counties with the Join Tool

TommyParker
5 - Atom

I created a workflow to show where we earned our revenue down to the street address. I am trying to populate a "county" column by using the join tool to match the zipcode from my revenue document to a zipcode database. However whenever one zipcode exists in two different counties it creates duplicate values (see screenshot) Is there a way to tell Alteryx to take the first county that has been applied to a zipcode and apply it to the rest of those zipcodes?

TommyParker_0-1579292875359.png

Any help is greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'd use a summarize tool with a group by on zip code and then use the first county. This will give you a unique list of zip codes and the first country associated in your list.

Use this as your reference table within your join.

amazz24
7 - Meteor

Find and replace could also be used in this instance instead of using the join tool.

In order to use the Join tool, you will need to have a unique list of zipcodes, otherwise multiple results will populate in the output, which a Summarize will do, as identified by @echuong1 

TommyParker
5 - Atom

This worked, thanks for your help!

Labels