Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Preventing Duplicate Counties with the Join Tool

TommyParker
5 - Atom

I created a workflow to show where we earned our revenue down to the street address. I am trying to populate a "county" column by using the join tool to match the zipcode from my revenue document to a zipcode database. However whenever one zipcode exists in two different counties it creates duplicate values (see screenshot) Is there a way to tell Alteryx to take the first county that has been applied to a zipcode and apply it to the rest of those zipcodes?

TommyParker_0-1579292875359.png

Any help is greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'd use a summarize tool with a group by on zip code and then use the first county. This will give you a unique list of zip codes and the first country associated in your list.

Use this as your reference table within your join.

amazz24
7 - Meteor

Find and replace could also be used in this instance instead of using the join tool.

In order to use the Join tool, you will need to have a unique list of zipcodes, otherwise multiple results will populate in the output, which a Summarize will do, as identified by @echuong1 

TommyParker
5 - Atom

This worked, thanks for your help!

Labels