Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Preserving the format of output file

Kamran1991
11 - Bolide

Dear community members,

I am working on building a workflow, where I am preserving the format of output file.

Will it be possible if we can retain this format for multiple output files, generated through batch macro?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kamran

9 REPLIES 9
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Kamran1991, the whole idea of a batch macro is that it is ran each time under the exact same conditions, just changing the control parameter each time. Therefore, if your Output Data step is part of the macro that'll ensure that all files output from it are of the same type etc.

Kamran1991
11 - Bolide

@DataNath ,

Thanks for the guidance.

Having considered your input also, there is still no success.

DataNath
17 - Castor

@Kamran1991 can you give some extra context? Perhaps some screenshots, or even better, your workflow with a detailed description of what you're trying to achieve? Happy to take a look if so. Thanks!

Kamran1991
11 - Bolide

@DataNath 

I am attaching the Alteryx package with source and output files.

Please select the profitability report file in the output of batch macro.

There are three categories in testing file and i want profitability report for the all categories.

Will be highly thanks for your help.

Kamran

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Kamran1991 you had these GroupBy fields set in the Group By tab of the batch macro which shouldn't have been. If you just change the first to None, the second will blank out like so:

DataNath_0-1672926501479.png

Then, in the Questions tab of the configuration, just ensure you have Category selected:

DataNath_1-1672926527903.png

When you run the flow now:

DataNath_2-1672926570192.png

Outputs:

DataNath_3-1672926618256.pngDataNath_4-1672926625960.pngDataNath_5-1672926635265.png

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

@Kamran1991 

Make use of the config options in the Output Data Tool to append or overwrite a range.

This will preserve not only formatting but also any data validation, comments, etc.

HomesickSurfer_0-1672947331305.png

Kamran1991
11 - Bolide

There are multiple input files, so this option will not work.

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @Kamran1991 

I'm uncertain what the input files have to do with the outputs you wish to retain formatting of.  Please explain.  I believe that the solution I have proposed does work.

Colgan
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

It's interesting that Alteryx doesn't use the Excel standard of having a ! after the workbook name  example:  [MyWorkbook.xlsx]Sheet2!$A$1:$Z$10001 it creates Sheet2! rather than  the expected Sheet2   

Labels