Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Preserve Formatting on Overwrite - List of Excel features that are preserved?

MJ
8 - Asteroid

Is there a list of Excel formatting features that are preserved somewhere?

2020.2 release-notes do not mention specifics.

I noticed that it keeps some really good things like column widths, freeze panes, auto-filter and even the auto-filter selections 🙂

But changes I made to the fill and font color are not...

Text-wrapping is also not preserved.

I haven't tested Conditional formatting yet, but read some posts that imply it is preserved.

5 REPLIES 5
MJ
8 - Asteroid

No word yet on the list of features that are preserved...  @CristonS advised I add this post from my comment on the idea (that is now implemented) but we have no way of knowing which features are preserved; so we test things hoping it works 🤞

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Output-Option-for-Excel-Overwrite-Data-but-n...

Shifty
12 - Quasar

Hey @MJ - it's a good question and I can understand why it would be useful to know.

Unfortunately, I don't know but it sounds like the type of thing that @MarqueeCrew would.  He's at Alteryx Inspire in Denver so you might have to be patient for a response.

MJ
8 - Asteroid

Bueller?

I've only really tested these and if some other users can add more in the comments we can crowdsource this :)

PRESERVED:

1. Column widths
  2. Freeze panes
  3. Auto-filter and the auto-filter selections 

NOT Preserved: 

1. Fill and Font Color
  2. Text-Wrapping

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @MJ 

If you specify the sheet range font color and background color seem to work. And seems like wrap text doesn't work at all.

atcodedog05_0-1659707175662.png

Hope this helps : )

KerryW
7 - Meteor

Setting Row Height, then having the text wrap seems to corrupt the file as well

Labels