Early bird tickets for Inspire 2023 are now available! Discounted pricing closes on January 31st. Save your spot!

Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer and Intelligence Suite.

Preparation - Data Cleansing. Receiving Parse Error

resqui
6 - Meteoroid

I'm new Alteryx and have run across an issue in trying to create my initial workflow.   I've added my input data, along with browse, but when looking to clean my data only for the following: replace nulls (string and numeric) and removing unwanted characters with leading and trailing whitespaces, I receiving the following error message.    I'm currently struggling to locate (in FAQs) how to remediate the issue.   Any help is appreciated.

Error: Data Cleansing (9): Tool #82: Parse Error at char(852): An operator must be between operands

Capture.PNG

17 REPLIES 17
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Looks like it is failing because of the quote characters in your field names, you could use a Dynamic Rename with the formula:

ReplaceChar([_CurrentField_], '"', "'")

to use single quotes instead of double quotes in your field names, run the workflow to refresh the metadata, and then in the Cleanse tool, click "None" and then "All" to deselect and reselect all the fields so the tool is configured for your new field names.

This has been done in the attached.

The error we see because of a quote character in a field name points to tool 82, but the issue is being created in the interface tools, that creates a list of selected tools and the action tools that update a value pointing to the formula, they create an invalid formula expression. I would recommend contacting Alteryx support with this thread.

mborriero
11 - Bolide

sorry my bad, I replaced the input without keeping your option.

JessicaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello Everyone,

Chiming in from the customer support team here.  I've merged the two threads on this topic to make updates easier (sorry for any confusion caused by doing so)

Our team will take a look at this issue.

Thanks!

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
JessicaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Following up on this issue, we have this in the backlog to be addressed in a future release.

In the meantime, I've made a modification to the formulas inside the action tools for the macro (attached here) and seems to be working on the tests I ran initially.

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
JessicaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Edit: will update further Monday, the change made did not resolve issue 

Jess Silveri
JessicaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I took another stab at this, and did not find a good solution that works for both " or ' in field names without a major overhaul

I created a second macro - CleanseAllowQuotes that works for field names with " but does not work for those with ' .  In theory, you could use both cleanse macros if you had a data set with fields containing " and ' or you could pick the one suited to your field names.

We've got this in the backlog to be addressed in a future release.

Jess Silveri
jjimenez
8 - Asteroid

Unfortunately, I'm unable to access the link you sent. I believe the naming convention could be the issue I'm having

MichelleMitchellLutz
8 - Asteroid

Hi! Wanted to share - I was unable to use open or close () parentheses in my field names in the Cleanse or Table (Reporting) tools. 

Labels