Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Predictive Date Selection

Jon_Taylor
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am trying to have Alteryx determine and filter start and ennd dates based on the COB date with in the data.

Below is my flow, please let me know if anything else is needed. I am trying to elimate user interaction at this step and all the data is available for Alteryx to do this , I am just not sure how to get there. the streams are coming from a dynamic input where a directory is pulling specific files. the top stream is the prior day report and the bottom is the current days report. Its pretty messy at the moment as I thought the data type on the date cells but it was still not working.

Jon_Taylor_0-1612814824513.png

Below is the original thought where i am updating the dates manually. I do know an application can be added to prompt user input but I would like Alteryx to do this itself to reduce user error. this i had located later in the flow after both streams have been joined. I decided that i need to filter before the join as at this point my target column of [cob date] contains both the prior day and current day data. both files detail the start dates and end dates which i am looking for

Jon_Taylor_1-1612814990807.png

Thanks, 

Jon Taylor

3 REPLIES 3
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

How is COB being determined? Is it based on the first and last dates in the dataset? You could use a summarize to grab the dates, then use an append to add them to every row. From there, your filter would be dynamic.

Are you able to post a sample of your data and/or your workflow? I can build an example.

Jon_Taylor
8 - Asteroid

Hi I am not sure if I can post the flow but hopefully this screen shot helps. I have attached a snippet of sample data as well. this is a small piece of the overall workflow which you can see where I have the original filters set up in the yellow container. the goal with the dates is i need to only look at start and end dates for each of the 2 COB dates. if today is 2/8/2021 I am looking at current day COB date of 2/5/2021 and prior days COB date of 2/4/2021. For both sets of data I want to see Start dates for 2/4 and 2/5. end dates for 2/5 and 2/6. It looks like whatever the solution is I may need to rebuild or re arrange the work flow.

Jon_Taylor_0-1612821053562.png

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Jon_Taylor ,

Apologies - your sample data didn't come through, but as a general pattern you can:

- Use a formula tool to generate a start and end date from your [COB Date] if it's a fixed duration

- Your filter would then say [test date] >=[startDate] and [test date] <= [end date] by using a custom filter formula.

- If you're looking to include every date in-between - you can use Generate Rows to generate all the dates in-between and then use this as a filter (Weekly Challenge 253 has some of this)

Labels