Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pre-Workflow Events - Is there a way to check?

Brian_Stoffel
8 - Asteroid

Does anyone know of a best practice to notify the person running the Alteryx workflow that the workflow has pre/post workflow events?

For example, we have a good amount of workflows that are shared among various users. If one user put a pre/post workflow event (e.g. run a powershell script), then is there a best practice to notify the next user of the event?

Right now, each time a user wants to run a shared workflow, we have to go into 'Workflow - Configuration' and check under the 'Events' tab to see if anything else will kick off before/after the workflow is ran. 

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

As part of my normal workflow documentation with annotations and containers, I tend to put a comment at the top left of my workflows with some high level information and important notes like this. Someone else may chime in with another approach, but this is how I personally keep track of my workflow events. 

Brian_Stoffel
8 - Asteroid

Unfortunately, this would be instances where there is no commenting or documentation of any pre/post events in the workflow.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I don't know of a notification, but this might be a good thought for the Ideas board: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/*/idb-p/product-ideas

My one other thought would be leveraging an Alteryx workflow to read the XML of other Alteryx workflows, specifically looking for the XML lines where an event is specified. Although this won't notify users of an existing event while they are in Designer, you could read in a series of Designer workflows in a directory and look for events to see what workflows in your environment contain events. 

workflow event.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Example of what the XML looks like without an Event:

event 2.png

Labels