Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Pre SQL statement for use with Connect In DB

GGuenther
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions on how best to mimic the functionality of the Pre SQL Statement found in the Input Tool when working with the Connect In-DB.

PreSQL.JPG

We are trying to do as much In_DB as possible but want to send a refresh command prior to sending the data pull information.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@GGuenther 

As you point out, this is not native to Alteryx. In many cases, one can use standard (not In-DB tools) more effectively than In-DB, so I encourage you to examine your decision "to do as much as possible In-DB."  You may find that the limitations are not offset by benefits in some cases, and then elect to use both classes of tools strategically.  The key thing to remember about an Input Data tool is that it has to return something, even if you never use that information.  (I've attached an example workflow using both kinds of tools.  Everything else being equal Alteryx will execute tools according to Tool ID number (the order they were placed on the canvas.)

If there are users out there who have relevant experience, please chime in.

You can also look for this idea in the Ideas section of Community. If it has been suggested within the past year, Star the post, and add your use case in the comments. If your idea is not recently listed, please submit it again. Our product team pays particular attention to ideas submitted by users.

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @GGuenther 

There is this idea to support Pre-SQL for in database ;)

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Ideas/Pre-SQL-for-InDB/idi-p/94203

Best regards,

Simon

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

PreSQL/PostSQL - how about just a SQL tool for In-DB where we can run what we want?

Labels