Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Power BI automation

nirajb
5 - Atom

Hello, 

I'm trying to explore the capability of Alteryx to generate Power BI PBIX files using SQL queries as input. Basically I need to create a PBIX files using a bunch of SQL queries and thinking of automating this process so that the data model for Power BI reports is prepared automatically. I'm aware of Alteryx capability to create Power BI datasets, but I would be interested in creating PBIX files as the output.

Please suggest if this is possible through Alteryx.

Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@nirajb 
From my little experience, alteryx might not be able to meet your requirement.
Alteryx can produce data and not really good at graphic presentation
Interactive Chart can do some simple chart though.
How about processing data with alteryx, then refresh the data source in the PowerBI to reflect the changes?

jonnyrask
8 - Asteroid

@nirajb I don't really understand what you're asking. A .pbix file contains both the data connection, static data, and the visuals. It is solely a PowerBI extension, and thus you shouldn't be able to open the data via Alteryx.

If you're asking how you can manipulate the data that you currently use in your PowerBI data connection using Alteryx, then yes, this is possible.

- Connect to your source data (wherever you're getting your PowerBI data) in Alteryx

- Write out to a SharePoint or OneDrive site via a SharePoint List or Excel file in Alteryx

- Connect the PowerBI report to the SharePoint List or Excel file

- If you have Gallery, you can schedule the Alteryx flow to run

OR
use the built in PowerBi Connector - https://help.alteryx.com/20214/designer/microsoft-power-bi-output-tool

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @nirajb , I can confirm that it is not feasible, since pbix is not open format and thus we cannot write/update data directly in it. Tableau has its own "hyper" format, but PBI doesn't have anything like that and thus the only option is, as mentioned above, to write data into one of the numerous format Alteryx can write to and PBI can read from. 

Vojta T., PM for Data Connectors
Try our Beta data connectors at https://bit.ly/3Ae8HgY
Labels