Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Power BI Publishing Multiple Tables to Same Dataset

shep123
5 - Atom

I am trying to publish multiple tables to same Power BI dataset. They all have the same dataset name but have different table names. For example if I have 3 tables (Table_A, Table_B, Table_C), I would want the three tables to show up under Dataset_Test in Power BI online. However, when I go to Power BI I see three different datasets with the exact same name.

Dataset_Test containing Table_A

Dataset_Test containing Table_B

Dataset_Test containing Table_C

I know this can be done somehow because if you publish directly from Power BI desktop you get a single dataset with the multiple tables within it. Thoughts on his this can be done?

4 REPLIES 4
JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @shep123,

The tool is designed to upload one table. However, you can join, union, or blend the tables together in Alteryx to create a single table for upload to PowerBI

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
shep123
5 - Atom

The issue is that these are completely different tables. The only common field is date but you can't join the tables by date because there are multiple records for each date and it is not constant across tables. I need to be able to publish multiple tables under one dataset. Based on your explanation this is not possible, correct?

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You are correct.  It is not possible to multiple tables to the same dataset in power bi directly from Alteryx unless the data can be blended or unioned into one table.

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is a limitation of the Power BI REST API - vote it up here!: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/268152-developer-apis/suggestions/10445529-add-rest-api-call-to-add...

Labels