Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

PostgreSQL Connection Issue

sar
5 - Atom

Hi 
i am trying to connect PostgreSQL using ODBC , the test connection was successful in ODBC but when i try to run the SQL the below error occurs. (followed the SQL with fully qualified name DB.SCHEMA.TABLENAME)

"Error: Input Data (1): Error opening "SELECT SRID FROM GEOMETRY_COLUMNS WHERE F_TABLE_NAME = 'XXXXXXXXX'": No Columns Returned.".

i have tried with SIMBA ODBC driver but it was also unsuccessful 

sar_0-1619881571258.png

has anyone created successful connection ? 

6 REPLIES 6
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is the link for PostgreSQL information in Alteryx: https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/postgresql 

What driver version are you using?  Also, have you tried using the visual query builder? Just to rule out any syntax issues, maybe just try using the visual query builder first to see if you can get a basic query running from there. 

sar
5 - Atom

Hi Brandon,

thanks for your response. i tried all the way but no luck 

i see Alteryx supports SIMBA drivers but i dont see any better resource for that as well 

Hamder83
11 - Bolide

hmmm im using a postgre sql, I just downloaded a odbc driver from here

https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/odbc/versions/msi/

add'ed the odbc connection and it worked?

sar
5 - Atom

Hi Hamder83

i tried the same from the below link with 11,12,13 version but none of them worked.

i am able test the ODBC connection but when i query i received no columns returned .. followed all type of options such as select * from db.schema.table or visual query builder , no luck 😞 

Jurjenz
7 - Meteor

Hi Sar,

Did you every figure out the solution to this? I'm facing the exact same issues at the moment and can't seem to fix it by updating/downloading other drivers. Let me know in case you did!

Kind regards,

WKiehn
7 - Meteor

Hi Sar, Jurienz,

I wonder if you want to load a table from the database as follows:

SELECT * FROM datatable

or whether you wanted to retrieve the results of a function in Postgresql as follows:

SELECT * FROM function(var)

or

SELECT function(var) FROM datatable

I only get the error message with a certain type of function and I have a solution for it. If you want to load data from a function, I can probably help you.

Labels