Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Post SQL for In Database tools

ngaskill1
7 - Meteor

Our IT team has implemented a cap on the number of concurrent database connections per user which is causing issues with several workflows that have multiple input tools. I have been able to implement post sql close session statements for standard tools which seem to be effective as a work around. I do not however see an option in the in-database tools to accomplish the same thing. Is there a way to execute a post sql statement using in-database tools?

3 REPLIES 3
kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

I will be interested to see if there are better solutions for this...  I'm not aware of a way to run post SQL statements in any of the in-db tools. The work-around that we use is to stream out one record to a temp table, so we can then use the post SQL statement in a standard Output Data tool.

1. At the end of your in-db workflow, stream 1 sample record out to a standard Output Data tool. This record is not used for anything.
  2. Set up the Output Data tool to write to a temp table within the same database as your in-db process.
  3. Since this is a standard Output Data tool, you can add your post SQL as usual. Just make sure to add a DROP TABLE for the unused temp table you just created.

kelly_gilbert_0-1617984069518.png

ngaskill1
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the suggestion, Kelly. I can give this a go but the entire reason that I'm looking for a post-sql option is that Alteryx is holding connections open. Our IT team has taken a scorched earth approach and given us access to only 2 concurrent connections so the post-SQL required is to close sessions. This might work if the second connection is not taken up though.

Going to leave the question open if anyone has any more direct options.

Thanks!

PaulDJ
5 - Atom

Can you share the post SQL statement you used?

Labels