Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Post SQL Syntax Error - Merge w CTEs

nmosley1
7 - Meteor

I'm using Alteryx to cleanse a file and load into a table in SQL Server.  After that process runs i want to run a script to merge the data set into another table.  My script is using a few ctes to set up the SOURCE/TARGET and a MERGE.  This means I'm using both a Begin/End and ending the MERGE with a semicolon.  Alteryx is throwing an syntax error since the semicolon is placed before the END.  This runs fine in SSMS but rejects in Alteryx?  Is there a trick with the alteryx syntax trying to run a merge into with ctes?

Scaled back SQL below

Declare @FieldKey as int

SET @FieldKey  = 1

BEGIN

WITH cte1 as (SELECT * FROM tbl)

, cte2 as (select * from tbl)

MERGE INTO cte2

USING cte1 ON cte1.a = cte.2

when matched then

when not match by target then do something else

when not matched by source then do something else ;

END

ALTERYX ERROR

Output Data (18) Executing PostSQL: "query syntax..." : [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near ';'.

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @nmosley1 

This is an issue with the ODBC driver issue as opposed to a strictly Alteryx issue.  Apparently, the ODBC driver sees the semi- colon as an end of statement marker and strips it out before passing the query to SQL server.  Normally this isn't a problem, but the Merge statement  has to end with a semi-colon.  To work around it, try escaping the semicolon with a backslash

MERGE INTO cte2
USING cte1 ON cte1.a = cte.2
when matched then
when not match by target then do something else
when not matched by source then do something else \;
END

See here and here for this issue using other applications.

Dan

nmosley1
7 - Meteor

Unfortunately attempting to escape the character using \; resulted in syntax error as well.  I tried a few combinations but was unable to resolve via the Post Create SQL configuration.  I ended up creating a stored procedure in SQL Server and was able to use Alteryx to initiate.

Labels