Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Populating a new field from 4 cells in a priority order

MCicc
5 - Atom

Hey all.

This is my first time posting on the Alteryx boards so pardon me if this is the wrong area to be posting this.

I'm working to develop a workflow that populates a field based off of the content of 4 other fields in a specific priority order.

Context: I have 4 metadata fields (DateCreated, DateLastMod, DateRcvd and DateSent) and I need them to populate the LeadDate field in a specific order.

I need the following to happen.

1. Create a LeadDate field

2. Where LeadDate is blank, LeadDate = DateSent

3. Where LeadDate is blank, LeadDate = DateRcvd

4. Where LeadDate is blank, LeadDate = DateLastMod

5. Where LeadDate is blank, LeadDate = DateCreated

6. Where LeadDate is blank, LeadDate = "00/00/0000"

MCicc_0-1591495095840.png

I just started really using Alteryx so don't destroy me on my approach. I'm sure I'm doing this wrong but gotta start somewhere. I created the LeadDate field and made it equal to DateSent in the first Formula. In the second Formula I have the following:

IF IsEmpty([LeadDate]) THEN [DateRcvd]
ELSEIF IsEmpty([LeadDate]) THEN [DateLastMod]
ELSEIF IsEmpty([LeadDate]) THEN [DateCreated]
ELSE "00/00/0000"
ENDIF

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

hi @MCicc ,

here is my take:

if you have a lead date, keep it otherwise look for another date. 

IF !IsEmpty([LeadDate]) THEN [LeadDate] ELSEIF

!IsEmpty([DateSent]) THEN [DateSent] ELSEIF

!IsEmpty([DateRcvd]) THEN [DateRcvd] ELSEIF !IsEmpty([DateLastMod]) THEN [DateLastMod] ELSEIF !IsEmpty([DateCreated]) THEN [DateCreated]
ELSE

"00/00/0000"

EndIf

mike, this field must be string. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
MCicc
5 - Atom

Mark,

That did the trick! 

There's one final part of this (I think) that I can't solve.

Now that I've populated the leaddate for all top-level (parent) records, I need that date to be propagated to the children records (where the date is null).

MCicc_1-1591503447000.png

In my above example, T00000080 is the parent record and the records T00000081 & T00000082 are considered the children. The children need the LeadDate propagated down to them. 

I've identified the Null records (children) but I'm not sure how to reference a record from a relational field (Group Identifier) and grab the date from that record.

If someone could provide some insight, that'd be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

deviseetharaman
11 - Bolide

Hi @MCicc 

You can use the Multi Row Formula tool here. Choose Update Existing Field and Select LeadDate. The Expression can be:

if isnull(LeadDate) and [Group Identifier] = [Row-1: Group Identifier] then [Row-1: LeadDate] else [Lead Date] endif

MCicc
5 - Atom

That did the trick.

Thanks for the help!

Much appreciated,

Mike

Labels