Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Populate user constants from external file

warrencowan
9 - Comet

Hi Community

Am using the constants element of designer heavily to pass key variables into the workflow, but I will want to run the same workflow for 10 different clients, and have up to 30 constants, each of which will have different values specific to the clients unique config, eg server, db name, various limiters, strings to search/filter/append/prepend, mode indicators etc.

I have them all stored in cvs files, and it seems impractical to change the the values of each constant every time I run the workflow for a different client. So would like to find a way to import a clients file and map them into the constants section. But I cant find any way to do this or evidence its possible

Am I missing something.

FYI, I am trying to move away from joining every variable onto every row just to make the variables accessible, as it becomes impractical on long multi step workflows, constant versioning and evolving requirements.

Mnay thanks for your consideration

w

2 REPLIES 2
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @warrencowan

You can do that by editing your .YXMD file as it were a XML (or in this case, a CSV).

I set up an example of a workflow to do that. Notice that I followed some rules, but it actually worked pretty well.

Workflow attached

Please let me know if you have any doubts.

Cheers,

warrencowan
9 - Comet

Thableaus, you are fabulous. 

Many thanks

Labels