community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Populate Outlook Email with Data from Excel

Meteoroid

Does anyone know if it is possible to populate multiple outlook emails with data from an excel sheet? The excel sheet would contain the subject line to add, who the email would need to be address to, as well as the body of the email.

Alteryx Certified Partner

Alteryx Designer has the tools to input the data from Excel and email it out. The roadblock that typically occurs in these scenarios is the email smtp capabilities/settings. That being said, the Email tool (in the Reporting category) features To, Subject, and Body parameters that can be assigned to fields from your Excel input. 

Please let me know if I can help answer any specific questions about this process.

20190808-EmailFields.png

Meteoroid

Hi Charlie,

From my understanding, Alteryx can not create .msg files which are the format that Outlook messages are created in. However, using this email tool, it appears Alteryx can send out emails with Outlook. do you know how this is possible for Alteryx to send emails if it can not create .msg files?

Alteryx can send emails by directly interfacing with the SMTP server. This bypasses the need for Outlook entirely. 

Meteoroid

If my company does not allow the use of ports 25 or 587, is there a way to save drafts of these emails so I can send them on my own outside of Alteryx?

I'm not aware of a way to create the .msg since there's no driver/support in Alteryx (because they have their own tool for emailing). 

The other option that comes to mind would be to create the components with Designer, then use a Run Command with VBS that compiles the components for Outlook.

Labels