Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Populate ListBox based on Dropdown List selection

geeman
8 - Asteroid

Greetings All!

I am trying to create an alteryx app that would accept user selections and output a set of records based on the filtered criteria generated based on the user selections. For this, I am trying to populate a checkbox list based on the values selected from a dropdown list. I am able to get the name-value pair until before the checkbox list, but the Checkbox list for some reason is not accepting the values. I am attaching my workflow for your reference. Could you please guide me to achieve my objective? Thank you in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@geeman,

Take a look at this macro for some help...

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @geeman! Have you heard about chained apps? This might be helpful in this situation. The options for your second question depend on how the user answers the first question. To do this, you would separate your one workflow into two. The first would end when you write to your test file. The second would start with the input as the test file and use that to populate the list box. In order to have the second run after the first, in your first workflow, go to the Interface Designer and click on the wrench. You will then want to select 'On Success - Run Another Analytic App' and choose your second workflow. Also, you don't want this test output to be shown to the user so you can deselect the 'On Success - Show Results to User' for just this first workflow. 

Here is an article that gives more details on chained apps: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Chained-Alteryx-Analytic-Applications/ta-p/7...

Chained App.PNG

geeman
8 - Asteroid

geeman
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @Kenda, for the quick response! This is seems to be a good solution, but I have multiple similar scenarios with in the workflow and I am looking for a solution that can be contained with in one single App. But I will definitely give it a go if nothing works. Thanks much!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

By the way......

For some data management jobs that I run, I include the creation of metadata tables that are used by applications which point to the data.  So If I were say loading USER names to the data, if all of the sudden Nicole were to pop up as an employee, then the next time that the app is run her name would appear in the list boxes.

Cheers,

Mark

geeman
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the tip @MarqueeCrew

To update on my original question, I was not able to create a filtered value list in ListBox from the dropdown selection using macros, other than some alternative approach like @Kenda suggested. It would be really helpful if you could share a simple approach to achieve this. Many Thanks!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@geeman,

My concept was one of a tree:

Capture.png

If you know the group/subsets that can exist, then you can create and organize the data so that you can have a static set of data ready for all future workflows.  For one of my client's each time I add new data to their database, I update the structure (tree) so that as new files are received, they appear on future application screens for selection.  Otherwise, as @Kenda suggests, you could run a set of chained applications together and once you know that you're looking at a particular subset of data,  you can pass that to the next workflow.  When passing to the next application, my concern is what happens if 2 or 3 executions of the same applications are run simultaneously?  You might need to engineer that one a little more carefully for scalability.

Attached are some quick and crude workflows to build and to execute the tree.

Cheers,

Mark

geeman
8 - Asteroid

@MarqueeCrew,

Thank you for the tips and suggestions! Sorry I couldn't get back to this earlier... But for now, I made this working using Chained app, the only challenge I faced was linking them back and addressing concurrent user scenarios. Thank you again, @MarqueeCrew and @Kenda for taking time to provide solutions. Much appreciated!

Labels