Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Polygon and spatial match, bug ?

_olivierbisthoven
7 - Meteor

Hi Community,

As nobody have found explanations to the following problems, I reintroduce it with a bug label

I try to match the content of two shapefiles using the predicate Target Within Univers and I observe unexpected behavior.

The two files in the samples contains one polygon each. obj1.shp is included in obj2.shp : A quick check with Brower tool show that is correct.

Nevertheless using Spatial Match on this very simple example fails !

On the other side using Custom DE-9IM spec coding "within" i.e.  T*F**F*** the result is correct !

Could anyone explains this strange result

6 REPLIES 6
GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @_olivierbisthoven,

the only explanation is that the 'small' polygon defined in obj1.shp contains something else that is not visible on the map.

If you see my attachment, I used the Summarize tool to Combine the 2 polygons. Then used the SpatialInfo tool to get the areas and compared obj2's area to the area of the 'combined' polygon (i.e. obj1+obj2). They are different in size (obj2: 8.63762439090817e-04 vs combined: 8.64073468040519e-04 SqKm) and the fact that the matching with the "within" setting is not happening, tells me that obj1 contains something that's outside of obj2.

The SpatialMatch would find a match if you switched the setting to 'intersects'.

Hope this helps!

Giuseppe

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @GiuseppeC 

I thought it might have been something like that so I split the polygons to points to see if there might be an outlier.  

split.png

Each poly is made up of only 4 points and the target, last 5 rows (because of the closure), is definitely contained within the area of the universe.

Dan

_olivierbisthoven
7 - Meteor

Hi Dan,

Correct !

I have also split obj1 polygon in points and the all the points are contained in obj2

The question is still open ...

Thanks

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Very weird. I did all of my standard tricks to investigate and this makes no sense to me.

John Hollingsworth
Clear Channel Outdoor
Jacob_Yurek
5 - Atom

I am encountering this same problem, wondering if anyone managed to fix it @GiuseppeC @danilang @_olivierbisthoven 

GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Jacob_Yurek, I was able to replicate this issue again. I have opened a case on the internal Community. Will let you know when I hear back.

Thanks,

Giuseppe

Labels