Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Poly-Build Level of Detail

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

I'm attempting to build custom trade areas using zip codes and the level of detail (points in the polygons) isn't as detailed as I'd like.  I have a .shp file with the zip code boundaries in it, with a sufficient level of detail:

zip detail.PNG

However, after joining to a dataset containing my trade area IDs and performing a poly build, I get very generic results:

zip generic.PNG

any suggestions on how to avoid this?

2 REPLIES 2
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The reason you're getting those results is the default setting on the Poly-Build tool is "Convex Hull". If the trade areas you're trying to build are a combination of several neighboring ZIP codes: use the Spatial Combine function of the Summarize tool.

That would be the easiest way if the ZIP polygons are in the same field. If they are in different fields, the same function can be found in the Spatial Process tool (Action: Combine Objects), or the Formula tool (use "ST_Combine(").

SpatialCombine.png

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

@CharlieS - Thanks! That's exactly what I needed it to be. I completely forgot that the summarize tool has spatial functions.

Labels