Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Poison Inverse Calculation Formula?

SAMMILU
7 - Meteor

I am working on a model which needs to use poisson inverse calculation to get the final number X, X=POSSINV(P, Lambda), and then input the X to another workflow to continue another batch of calculation. Currently I using Alteryx workflow to gather all the number and run complicated calculation to get the P and Lambda first, however, Alteryx does not have Poisson Inverse Formula installed while Excel has. So I have to output the data into a excel file which has formula insert.

As the pic below, The Alteryx output would be column A and B, Column C with Formula inserted should be updated everytime after the number is changed. And then I input the same excel file including the updated Column C to the second workflow. However, the issue is that the excel Column C is not automatically updated at the input of the second workflow. After the first workflow finishes I have to open the excel file and the save and close before running the second workflow. It gives me headache as I am unable to put it schedule and I have to manually do it every morning. Does anyone have the similar experience? And how should I solve it? I think I would either need to add the poison inverse formula in Atleryx, which I don't know how to, or get some way to reflesh the excel file before it input to the second workflow. Thank you for your input!

excel screen.PNG

Sammi

8 REPLIES 8
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Assuming you have the predictive tools installed you can use the R tool to compute the inverse poisson:

IN <-read.Alteryx("#1", mode="data.frame")
Out <- data.frame(Prod=IN$Prob, Lambda=IN$Lambda, Inverse=qpois(p=IN$Prob, lambda=IN$Lambda))
write.Alteryx(Out, 1)

Sample attached

SAMMILU
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much for your help! However, I am unable to run the sample and it gives the error below. I am a beginer of Alteryx and not sure if I have the right tool installed. Do you know how to solve it? I am using verson 2018.2 x64.

error.PNG

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You need to install the predictive tools to get R tool.

It should be available for download from licenses.alteryx.com

SAMMILU
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much! It works very well! However, when there is a non-numeric column in the input as below, it can't run thru. Looks like the input model needs to change to metainfo. But I am not sure how to modify the rest of the script. Could you please help me out again? Thank you so much!!!

Capture.PNG

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Try:

IN <-read.Alteryx("#1", mode="data.frame")
IN$Inverse <- qpois(p=IN$Prob, lambda=IN$Lambda)
write.Alteryx(IN, 1)

This works by adding a column which I think is a much cleaner solution.

SAMMILU
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much! It works perfect in the workflow. But, one more issue, it looks like the R-TOOL is prohibited after I uploaded the workflow in the Gallery for scheduled run. Do we have any altertive tool which could use this qpois formula?

Thank you so much for your patience!

Sammi

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Only thing I can think of is to do it using the Python tool but it might have the same limitations.

SimTaylor
5 - Atom

This is fantastic - thank you James.

Is there a way to make some minor adjustments here to get the same using the negative binomial distribution?

Context - I am totally new to R (in fact, not even started) but this tool would be very helpful for testing whether poisson / negative binomial distribution is better for modelling demand variability for some products vs. normal distribution.

Labels