Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Please fix the Visual Query Builder tool! - Allow the Field to expand again!

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Words cannot express how frustrating this bug is proving to be.  Prior to the 2018 version, you were able to resize the window to make the visual query building window larger.  Now when you expand the window the only thing you can expand is the element grid.  ARGH!  This is single-handedly the most frustrating aspect of Alteryx.  Please please please patch this.

9 REPLIES 9
JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @JohnMaty,

Thank you for your contribution to the Community!

This particular issue requires further investigation by our Customer Support staff. I've moved your post over to the 'Designer Discussions' section of Community and escalated your post to the appropriate team.   You can expect to be contacted via email or Private Message shortly.

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
DanC

Hi @JohnMaty,

Thank you for your post. I am truly sorry for and fully understand the frustration this is causing you! Please note that this is a recognized defect and our developers are working on a fix. You can expect the issue to be resolved in our 2018.3 release, which is expected in September at the latest. Unfortunately, there is no workaround which means you will have to deal with this issue until then. So, again, my sincere apologies. As an alternative, can you build and edit your queries in your database manager or Notepad, where you can view more of the query, and then paste into the SQL window within Alteryx? Though, I'm sure that's something you have already considered. 

Thank you, John. We certainly appreciate your patience until this is fixed.

Dan Chapman
Program Manager, Customer Support
New to the community? Get started here.
Matt_Curtis
9 - Comet

Just extending the frustration we've felt in this thread:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Too-much-Visual-Query-Builder-blank-space/id...

This is a big issue!  I don't like using MySQL workbench, or even worse, Aginity for our EDW, because I'm just not that good at writing code from scratch.  The VQB is what taught me SQL and is now how my brain works when forming queries.  I use it all day, and it's super frustrating to use large or multiple tables, with many fields and expressions, inside a vertical space that's like 1/3 of my screen.

2018.1 was released in March, so it has already been 3 months, waiting another 3 months seems like a long wait.  This and the new Flexera system have been two major flaws of the new 2018 class of releases.  My rep can't seem to figure out how to activate it appropriately for our account and we have licenses waiting to be installed while we wait for a call back.  It's been over a week, so these combinations of issues are adding up!

MargaritaW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @JohnMaty and @Matt_Curtis, due to the feedback we've received on this thread, our development team is actively looking into it. I will keep update that thread with any updates as they come along. Thanks!

Margarita Wilshire
Sr. Manager, Customer Support Engineering
Women & Allies Committee

Alteryx, Inc.
MargaritaW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Per my update on the original thread: Too much Visual Query Builder blank space

As promised, I'm back with an update. Good news, our development team is working on a fix for this issue to be included in the 2018.2 stable update that we're hoping to have out in July. I'll keep you posted.

Margarita Wilshire
Women & Allies Committee

Alteryx, Inc.
Matt_Curtis
9 - Comet

Thank you, thank you, thank you!~

JP2
7 - Meteor

Hello - any updates on this subject?

MargaritaW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @JP2,

Thanks for asking. The 2018.2 stable update (2018.2.5.48994) is available now which fixed this issue. You can download this version from licenses.alteryx.com

There were two threads going on this.. here is the other one

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Too-much-Visual-Query-Builder-blank-space/id...

Margarita Wilshire
Women & Allies Committee

Alteryx, Inc.
JP2
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the quick response @MargaritaW :) our users will be very excited to have this fixed.

Labels