Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pivoting using Cross Tab

LStevenson
7 - Meteor

I am a new user and am trying to do my first Cross Tab pivot. My data has 4 columns. The first is the the states where we have plants. The 2nd through 3 tabs are plant data. I can't figure out how to turn the 3 columns of data into 3 rows of data (plus the state header). I can only pick up a single row of data. I would like to have all three rows of data by state.

I'm attaching two pics. The first is my data before I Cross Tab and the second is my cross tab results. 

file 1.png

file 2.png

5 REPLIES 5
rfoster7
9 - Comet

You don't want the Cross Tab tool, you want the Transpose Tool. That's the Tool for turning columns into rows. 

Capture.PNG

LStevenson
7 - Meteor

I wanted the data to be shown horizontally with the states as the header and the 3 rows of data in columns below the appropriate state. Is that possible? 

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You'll want to firstly transpose the 3 columns and then Crosstab that. The Crosstab will be Group: [Name], Header: [State], Data: [Value]

rfoster7
9 - Comet

That's correct. Here's a sample pic

Capture.PNG

LStevenson
7 - Meteor

That is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much. Now I understand the pivot concept!

Labels