Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pivot: Aggregate based on row and column selection

MarcB
5 - Atom

I'm fairly new to Alteryx and trying to find my bearings.
I've learned a lot from the community posts and hope that someone can help me here as well.

I would like to re-create a fairly simple Excel pivot function, with aggregation based on row and column selections.
Is there a tool in Alteryx that allows me to do this easily?

In my example, I have orders with a completion status at two points in time. (The objective in this example is to show the movement between one month and the next)
I'd like to show the current month status on the horizontal axis and the previous month status on the vertical axis, with the aggregate order value in the table.
I'd also like to be able to produce this output separately, using the count of orders.

I'd like to show my data in the below pivot table format (showing all rows and columns, regardless of empty fields).

I was able to calculate the pivot values, but have not managed to re-create the format.

Unfortunately I am unable to load files to the community, I have include images below.

Thanks for your help!

Required output:

Pivot image.PNG

Alteryx workflow:

Alteryx workflow.PNG

Alteryx results: 

Alteryx results.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The way I would go about this would be to tag each of the lines as 1 or 2, based on whether they are a header or value. And also tag the different groups (i.e. 2 rows per group).

You can then bring the data into a more traditional pattern like...

Current | Previous | Number | Value 

and then use the cross-tab tool to build out your pivot table style view.

See the attached workflow with a complete example.

Ben

MarcB
5 - Atom

Thanks for your help Ben!

Labels