Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pivot 1 column into rows

Katie_K
8 - Asteroid

Hello folks, I think this should be an easy one, but I'm stuck... I have data that is all in a single column (no headers, I can add these on later) and it's tidy in that every 8 cells should be my 'row' of data, like the below screen shot.  I was trying text-to-columns and Cross Tab, but I'm obviously missing a step!  Any guidance appreciated, thanks, Katie

Pivot source names.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

@Katie_K pretty straightforward, you just have to create two new columns.  You need one column to group on (the letter) and one column to create the order (the number). From there you can use the crosstab tool to get your desired grid.

crosstab.png

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Attached is one option.  For the Input and Output tools, enter your own path name.

ChrisTX_0-1636029765474.png

Chris

Katie_K
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ChrisTX, thanks so much, this is exactly what I needed and this is a huge help!! 😁

FYI, I wasn't able to download the workflow you included, I got the error below.

But I was able to figure it out based on your screen shot... I've never used the Tile tool before so this is a good one that I'll be using again in future - cheers!!

Katie

Katie_K_0-1636038728329.png

Katie_K
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your response @neilgallen!  The actual data isn't in the format of X1, Y1, Z1, so perhaps I should have made this more clear... each value really contains text that varies, so doing the LEFT() and RIGHT() won't work... the solution that Chris came up with handles the values being anything (format-agnostic you could say), so I'll go with that one.  I imagine I'll be able to use your idea in future anyways, so thank you again 😀  Katie

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

I edited my original reply.  The workflow "Pivot 1 column into rows.yxmd" attached above should open now.

Labels