Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Pipe output of command line process into Designer without writing to disk?

Scott_Snowman
10 - Fireball

Is there a way to invoke a Windows command line process and pass the output into the datastream of Alteryx Designer without writing to a file as an intermediary?

I have successfully used a Run Command tool with "> output.csv" appended to the command such that the output which normally goes to the shell is written to a file, and then read that file into Alteryx Designer to pass the info along.

I would like to achieve the same effect without writing out to a file as an intermediary, but I am not sure if it is even possible for Alteryx to access that environment in any way. Anyone have any ideas?

(For reference, I am interested in using this to log success events that are kicked off via scheduled workflows and log them in a table. I'd rather have the same workflow kick off the event and then log the command-line results into the table, rather than having another workflow later that examines the output files from the first workflow and writes to the table.)

2 REPLIES 2
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Scott_Snowman 
If your command line process happens to be the last part of your flow, maybwe can try the Event option of the workflow.

Qiu_0-1641532312672.png

Scott_Snowman
10 - Fireball

Hi @Qiu -- unfortunately this suggestion will not work with my use case, as I am looking for the output of the Run Command process to be picked back up by downstream tools.

Labels