Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pipe delimited file with new line characters in columns

HeinL
7 - Meteor

I have a pipe (|) delimited file that I want to read into Alteryx.  The problem is that the file contains new line characters in some of the columns.  This means that the particular record Alteryx gives the following warning: Input Data (5) Record #94916: Not enough fields in record.

I am trying to find a way to read the data properly.  I tried reading the data without a delimiter (\0) in the Input Data node.  I thought by doing so I could remove the new line character using RegEx or Formula nodes.  The problem is that it splits the record into two at the new line character which makes it very difficult to use any of the methods for dealing with delimiters that some of the users suggested before.

Any assistance is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I think I have got this working. (see attachment)

The data is going to need to not have any pipes inside the fields and you will need to know how many fields the data is supposed to have up front.

Let me know how it works against your data.

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
HeinL
7 - Meteor

Thanks a lot.  With a few changes to accommodate for my specific dataset this will work perfectly.

Hein Lochner

TomKing
5 - Atom

This worked in my case as well, <CR><LF>s embedded in the fields - saved me hours of work.   Thanks Adam!

Labels