Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Picking up Input Files and Creating Output Files based on User Entered Data

nsarayar
7 - Meteor

Hi I would like Alteryx to ask the user for the month of the report they want to run in the format YYYY-MM. If they enter 2018-08, I want to pick up "Input 2018-08.xlsx" and then produce an output called "Output 2018-08.xlsx" Is anyone able to assist in suggesting how I can go about doing this? Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@nsarayar I'm providing a couple different solutions. The solution on the left uses the textbox like you mentioned and then uses reference shortcuts to pass the data to the input and output. For an alternative, I've also put together the solution on the right which uses a date input tool so that there is less chance for the user entering data incorrectly. I use an action tool to pass the data to the input and output tools. I hope that points you in the right direction!

Capture.PNG

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This will do what you describe. It's quite limited as it will only look for files in the current directory, i.e. where the app is saved. Perhaps you should add a folder browse too that will allow you to pick the folder where the files are. Also, for Excel files, you need to specify the Sheet name for both the input and output. Currently it is just set to Sheet1

change input and output filename.png

Labels