Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Picking out the middle name

Shounak
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone,

I am new to alteryx, have been working on it for a couple of months now. I have this issue for gender calculation from a given name, Now the names are in the below format, so the middle part gives away the gender which I will be replacing with a given gender code. For that I need to be able to pick out only the middle part of the name. An example:

I have this name field with data like: John SonOf Doe, Jane d/o Doe.

Any idea what function to use for this?

Thank You.

7 REPLIES 7
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Shounak

Could you use the Contains() function in the formula tool to identify the gender?

For example:

If Contains([Field1], "SonOf") then "Male"

Elseif  Contains([Field1], "d/o") then "Female"

Else Null()

Endif

If you can provide an example datatset we can help you further :)

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

Shounak
6 - Meteoroid

hello,

Thanks for your reply on this. I actually have thought of using the if else, but if any other format of "son of" of "s/o" comes up then Ive to modify the formula each time. Hence I am using a way, where I take the name field, take out the middle part of the names like the above mentioned, then find/replace with the master file which has the gender defined in 2 fields.

Gender Code     Gender

d/o                    Female

s/o                    Male

Son of               Male

Something like the above.

I will attach the sample file for the name field. To pick out the middle part is the only issue I am unable work out.

Thank You.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Ahh ok, 

In that case yes...using Find & Replace is probably the way to go....see attached example.

Shounak
6 - Meteoroid

This works.

But I tried getting the same data that u took from a text input, but from a .csv masterfile. Doesnt seem to work so I tried with parsing the middle character and then sending only s/o d/o to be found and be replaced.

Thanks =)

Shounak
6 - Meteoroid

ps

I believe the correct word i should use is to Parse the middle name out.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Ok, so if you want the Parse out the "middle" part of the field you can use the RegEx parse function:

RReplace4.PNG@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

Shounak
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks a ton :)

Now i have 3 solutions.

Labels