Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Perform a Workflow on specific files across a number of folders

JacobR77
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

This isn't immediately pressing but I'm curious as to whether it can be achieved. 

I have a folder structure that goes like this:

Project A

Project B

Project C

etc

Within each Project folder, there is one file I'd like to perform a workflow on (let's call this my target file). There are also a number of other files within each Project folder that I'm not interested in. Each target file is named slightly differently (no common naming convention). 

My goal is for my workflow to go into each Project folder, identify my target file, run the transformation/cleansing process, and union the results. 

I'm wondering what the best way to approach this is? One potential avenue is that each of my target files have the same number of sheets?

Is there a way I can do this without having to rename each of my target files? I'm trying to futureproof this so that when people create Project folders and the future, it won't be crucial that they follow a naming convention for each file.

Thanks,

Jacob

2 REPLIES 2
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yes - you can do this. If you use a directory tool searching from the folder containing Project A, Project B etc to produce a list of the target files you can then feed this into a Dynamic input tool to load the data.

The directory tool allows for wildcarded filenames (e.g. *.xlsx) and will recurse into subfolders to find files.

The only restriction is the files need to all be the same format or the Dynamic Input will object.

JacobR77
8 - Asteroid

James,

Thanks a lot for the swift reply.

Just to flesh that out a little- the Directory tool provides me with a list of files. I'll then use a crosstab/Dynamic rename to select the files I want to be inputted into the Dynamic Input tool, providing they're all xlsx (or at least the same format). 

Is that correct?

If so, how will it cope when new Project Folders are added? Will I have to ensure that the correct file from the new Project Folder is selected (to ensure the new one is always picked up)?

Thanks,

Jacob

Labels