Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Percentile mathematical function

patel_bm
8 - Asteroid

I was wondering if we have a very simple mathematical function to calculate a specific percentile data point in a data array/column. Python equivalent will be Numpy.percentile() OR quantile() functions. R equivalent will be quantile function. I am at loss to see why should these not be part of Formula tool Math functions unless I have completely missed them.

PS: I understand we can use R or Python tools for the same. But I am not sure if this isn't already available in Alteryx tools.

5 REPLIES 5
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @patel_bm ,

have a look at this post, maybe it's helpful: Percentile Macro . A macro is avaliable for download.

Hope this is helpful

Best,

Roland

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @patel_bm, the Summarize tool allows you to compute the percentile values for a range of data 

Capture.PNG

Or addition to @RolandSchubert's suggestion, you could also use the Moving Summarize tool available within the Crew Macro toolset to compute percentile values. More on it is available at this link: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2014/12/moving-summarize.html

The zip file in this link will help install Crew Macros for you: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

patel_bm
8 - Asteroid

@AbhilashR That's perfect. I knew I was missing something. We couldn't have missed such important function.

Thanks a lot.

jcanavanBDO
5 - Atom

but that seems to only calculate the 50th percentile, what about others like the 25th or 75th P?

kathleenmonks
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jcanavanBDO in the bottom left of the Summarize tool configuration you can choose what percentile you want. The default is 50 but this can be changed.

kathleenmonks_0-1683578711219.png

Labels