Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Percentage Too.

BH33
5 - Atom

I am a first time user of this application and I am trying to figure out how to use a Tool that will allow for me to get a Percentage on a column of data base on what type of data is Filtered. 

If a particular column contains the data that is filtered what tool would give the % based on how much data in that column is based on the Role by Name. 

Exp: ( Column 1 as a Role name for 50 users,  Column 2 has a specific Data type that some of the users have, let say out of the 50 users only 25 users have that specific type of Data. That would be 50%.  (If 25 users  out of 50 have that specific data type the percentage would be 50%). 

So what tool can I use that can give me that Percentage for the Data Type to calculate on a Table for my results? And what tool have instruction  on how to get a percentage calculation on data?

9 REPLIES 9
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

there isn't a tool that will give you a direct percentage (although you may find one on the gallery, have never looked).

There are a number of ways to go about this, most of which are defined by the structure of your data. Attached are a few simple examples based on the scenario you provided. 

Good luck!

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@BH33 

Please check the attached solution.

"Formula" tool will work for this. Make sure you notice the data type of each tool in the attached workflow here.

vizAlter_0-1597843548232.png

If you want to add a row in the last for "Total", then use below workflow:

vizAlter_0-1597848731224.png

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The Field Summary tool will give you a percentage missing from each field.

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/field-summary-tool

echuong1_0-1597846138939.png

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@BH33 — Did you try the suggested solutions?

If this post assists in resolving the question, please mark it "Like", or "Solved" if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution. Thank you.

BH33
5 - Atom

Thanks for this solution.  My team and I ant meeting this Tuesday to see if this give us the results we need.  Thanks again

BH33
5 - Atom

Thanks for the solutions my team and I are meeting on Tuesday to see if this gives us the results we need.  Thanks again.

thuyduongnguyen
7 - Meteor

Dear @vizAlter,

Thank you for your suggested solution.

From this I'd like to ask 1 step further: How to change data type of the output to number? But still has the percentage sign, e.g. 50%.

As the file is opened in Excel, the data can't be recognized a number.

Therefore no math or any futher calculation or drawing chart can be done. 

Thank you very much in advance.

Thuy Duong

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This can be achieved with the reporting tools.

I have the output as a temporary file, but you can change it to an actual excel file if you'd like.

echuong1_0-1606159548974.png

echuong1_1-1606159583932.png

thuyduongnguyen
7 - Meteor

Hi @echuong1, thank you very much for your suggestion.

I didn't know that we can keep the percentage output with Basic Table and Render tools. That's new thing to me.

However, I have some template excel output and have to use Preserve Formating or Overwrite of Output Data tool.

Therefore I tried and come to conclusion that I can't use Basic Table and Render for that purpose. 

Will there be another solution for this percentage format?

Labels