Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Password Protected Workflow

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

Hello ,

I wanted to deploy my Alteryx workflow but also i wanted to make sure it has to be password protected 

Even , if its deployed in Gallery 

Becase i dont want to see everyone can open and edit the workflow.

Is there a way to Protect My workflow in ALteryx

Thanks

Saravanan

9 REPLIES 9
chris_love
12 - Quasar
Encrypt it via Options menu? Make sure you save the original...
s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

Thanks Chris,

Once i encrypted , how do i deploy it in Gallery

is there way to protect from Gallery as well.

another question is, how do i Decrypt it 

Thanks for your help

chris_love
12 - Quasar

Okay if you're deploying to Gallery then you don't need to encrypt - just don't enable the "Download" option. That way people can run the App but not edit it.

denny
8 - Asteroid

Hi Chris,

Please confirm.

Reading between the lines: we need to save a copy of the workflow that is encrypted so we can modify it, especially if expiration date is not set.

Thanks.

denny
8 - Asteroid

Oops. I meant unencrypted.

Usamah22
8 - Asteroid

What does encrypting the workflow do? I want to stop people accessing the workflow like in Excel where you can password protect.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@Usamah22

Encryption allows for a workflow to be run but not edited, and is best used in the case where you still want to grant someone access to running a workflow but don't want them editing any tools. You can check out our help documentation for encryption here, as it goes over the topic in greater technical detail.

Thanks for the quick reply. Can i stop someone from seeing the workflow altogether as the notes within the tool workflows have confidential info.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Yes, this will stop someone from viewing into your workflow as encrypted workflows cannot be opened. You can also update your workflow to be an analytic app with the interface tools if you need any input from the user, as this will allow the user to have an interface to interact with while still being restricted from opening the workflow itself.