Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Passing user input from workflow into batch macro that uses app to update a tool

Greenpug
5 - Atom

Hi,

I have searched everywhere and can't seem to find an answer or maybe I'm not doing it correctly.

I'm trying to pass a user input from a workflow into a batch macro(that has a user interface that update the sample tool): Theres two part where I am having trouble, first i need the user input(outside of batch macro) to update the filter in the batch macro, after updating the filter, it will go through the action tool and update the sample tool. 

I can't seem to be able to pass the user input into the batch macro. Is there another way to set this up where I can update the sample tool? I basically need to skip N amount of row depending on what is filtered out from the user input. It seem like the action tool doesnt update the sample tool.

Any help is appreciated.

batch macrobatch macroworkflowworkflow

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It's definitely possible to use information from a workflow to update (the XML of) another tool, but that tool being updated needs to be in a nested macro.

@Claje presented a session on this at the last Inspire conference. The link below includes his example from that session:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Inspire-2019-Buzz/Nested-Macros-Session-Field-Comparison-macro/m-p/...

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

I would recommend not using a Sample tool in this instance - I would instead use a recordID and append fields solution. Something like the following screenshot:

claje_rowfilter.PNG

Greenpug
5 - Atom

Thanks @Magnetar this way worked as well!

@CharlieS I would need to look into this and test it. Thanks!

Labels