Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Passing multiple inputs in Batch Macro

GaRaGe
8 - Asteroid

I am constructing a batch macro to run a set of operations in loop for a control parameter. 

sample input A

Itemqtsplaceid
A23MMXt6787
A11KKIt6789
A88IUJt6791
A52YTTt6793

sample input B

flagflag_rate

My macro basically should take these 2 inputs and runs a python code with "flag_rate" as a control parameter for each iteration and gives the final output. Since there are 3 values under "flag_rate" the macro should run 3 times and collate the results. However i do not want my input A to be changed.

How can i pass the input A without providing a groupby field?

6 REPLIES 6
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@GaRaGe You will need a control parameter mapped to flag_rate and then you can have a macro input in your batch macro that input A connects to. There is no need to provide a grouping field.

GaRaGe
8 - Asteroid

How do i map the control parameter to flag_rate?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@GaRaGe  Good question, I would highly recommend the interactive lessons  if you haven't already checked them out. 

I've put together a simple example with your sample data. 

patrick_digan_0-1612531238772.png

The flag_rate is being mapped on the questions tab:

patrick_digan_1-1612531267501.png

GaRaGe
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much for this. very useful

Does this work for a dynamic input A? because i extract the data from a DB that updates constantly and then i should run the macro over it with flag_rate as control parameter

GaRaGe
8 - Asteroid

Also why do i get this parse error in the solution you provided?

GaRaGe_0-1612769801500.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @GaRaGe This would be allow for a dynamic Input A.

As for the flag rate error, I'll just walk you through how the macro is working exactly. 

In my macro, when I placed the control parameter on the canvas, I renamed it to flag_rate here in the Name box at the top:

patrick_digan_0-1612801217923.png

Now when I click on the canvas and then the workflow >>> configuration tab, I can give flag_rate a "test value" of 5:

patrick_digan_1-1612801323747.png

Now I can use that control parameter variable in my formula tool:

patrick_digan_2-1612801366496.png

When I click run in my macro, it will run my test value through (5). When I go back to my workflow and click run, it will run through the values from the dataset. FYI this method is called reference shortcut. Note that if you're in a macro and copy/paste an interface tool, it loses it's name. 

Labels