Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Passing file name as a parameter to a chained app -> then dynamically opening that file.

stephs
7 - Meteor

Hey, I have an analytic app that captures a file name created by the user and saves that to a .yxdb. Then i have a chained app that needs to open the file by that name and do some processing. What's the right way to do this? I tried hacking a solution with the drop down list box tool, and various other things but no luck so far. I feel l like i'm missing something obvious. 

thanks,

steph

3 REPLIES 3
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx
stephs
7 - Meteor

Thanks @ArtApa, i'm not sure if this helps me. I understand how to pass values to a list box between chained apps, but in my case, i need to pass the file name, and then have the second app open that file. The list box should not appear in the UI - i.e., the file would have already been determined by the first app so no need for the user to re-select in in the second app. 

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @stephs - The lesson explains not only how to pass values to an interface tool, but also how to pass a dataset. This is fully explanatory unless the second process you'd like to run is not an app, but a simple workflow. If that's the case you can either keep the process together and don't split it or orchestrate your workflows differently, not through a chained app.

Labels