Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Passing command arguments from other tools.

Yas
7 - Meteor

Hello All,

Was wondering if there was a way to pass a Text input value to Run command argument. I.e. I have %Question.ControlParam.File% to pull an argument from a macro input, what would be the equivalent to do it from the Text input?

Any assistance will be most helpful!

Thanks for reading,

Yas

11 REPLIES 11
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Are you using action tools? You can use an action tool to send anything into a run command line either in a batch macro or in an app.

Yas
7 - Meteor

Thanks @apathetichell for the prompt reply.

I can use the update tool but I need to check whether the file exists before I run the command tool. So I have a batch macro that takes a directory, checks if it exists, if it doesn't, it runs the run command to make the directory. However, the run command tool runs regardless if the file exists or doesn't.

Do you know if I can use the update tool to update batch files?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

put the command tool in a batch macro by itself and have the macro execution at the end of the filter tool set to run on True...

Certain tools including command run even if there is no input - to avoid executing you need to use conditional routing so either only call the macro (I said batch that way you can pass an argument in but it doesn't have to be) if the file doesn't exist (True Anchor to test file !exist) but doesn't run otherwise.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @HomesickSurfer

do you have any comments on This. I remember you using cmd tool and passing file name to cmd tool to copy and rename.

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @atcodedog05 Thx for reaching out.  @Yas , what are you intending to pass through the cmd string?  A user input value?

Yas
7 - Meteor

Thanks @apathetichell !

Such a simple solution that I completely overlooked. Thanks all that replied!

Yas
7 - Meteor

Hi @HomesickSurfer 

Thanks for replying. I was trying to pass through a filepath. @apathetichell reply worked! thanks again

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@YasIt's actually not that intuitive - I explore conditional routing and had to do this a few times. I asked on Designer about tools that run independently but I don't think Alteryx has ever provided a full list.  R/Python/Count Records/Field Info/Command don't need records to run.

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

+ Generate Rows :generaterows:

Labels