Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Passing Dynamic Key to the download tool

ShareqM
6 - Meteoroid

I have a scenario where I am doing a two-step manual process currently:

Step1: Using a Text Input (URL1) and Download tool to generate a validation Key (after authentication)

Step2: using the Text input (URL2)+Passing the Key generated in step 1(manually) and Download tool  to get the required data

I need a solution to do these steps automatically, for that I need to pass the Key generated in step 1 to the download tool dynamically. Can any expert please help achieve this? 

6 REPLIES 6
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ShareqM can you provide the download data from your first download tool? Then we can help you

ShareqM
6 - Meteoroid

I am not trying to merge data, I need the Key value generated in step1 to be passed to the download tool in step 2 automatically here:

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ShareqM After your first download tool, you will need to put a formula tool to create a field called "Authorization" and set it to "Bearer " + [Your token]. In order to get your token from the first download tool, the easiest way is usually regex. I'd be harry to help if you provide a dummy sample. Then in your second download tool, delete the authorization from the top box and instead check the box next to your authorization field in the bottom box.

ShareqM
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, I did that. Here is my workflow: and the error I am getting

ShareqM
6 - Meteoroid

Also, I have different URLs in Step 1 (Token) and step 2(outbound), so added this second URL in formula tool and checked the URL box as well for the second download Headers, image below:

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ShareqM I don't think you'll need the url in the header for the second download tool. You would just change the url field on the basic tab. If your second download tool works manually, I would just try to see what's different when you try to automate it (ie check your authorization field matches exactly, your content-type matches exactly, etc. Debugging issues with the download is very difficult and just trial/error. You could also try starting with your manual entries and slowly chaining things 1 at a time.

Labels