Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pass dropdown selection value to other points in workflow

jswirat
5 - Atom

Hi,

I am quite new to Alteryx and was not able to find an answer to this.

I created a dropdown for a user to select a report name at the start of a workflow.  I have more than one input file, but each will have the report name in it.  I need the value they selected to be accessible as a global variable so to speak so I can use it to pull the correct records from other input files in the workflow.

3 REPLIES 3
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jswirat you can have multiple actions tools connected to your dropdown that connect to each input. Or else you can update a Text Input that then feeds this into a number of dynamic input tools.  

jswirat
5 - Atom

I like the idea of using the text input tool, but cannot find an example of how to flow from dropdown, to action, to text input.  The examples show only to a select tool or an input data tool and I struck out on Google.  I have tried a number of configurations, but still can't get the dropdown selection value to populate in the text input.  Can you help this noob w/ that part?

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jswirat I mocked up an example of the approach I mentioned. Let me know what you think?

Labels