Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pass Concatenated String As Formula to Formula Tool

robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

Hello fellow Alteryx users!  Here's what I am trying to accomplish.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with three columns (B, D and F) that are variables.  Along with these three columns are several cells that when concatenated together in conjunction with the three variable columns look like a formula string.  Now I am wondering if I can somehow pass that string to a Filter tool in Alteryx.  As an example:

Column A    Column B    Column C               Column D        Column E                       Column F   

=======================================================================

[Store] =         12              and [Amount] =      16                    and [Employee] =          12345

So if I concatenated all of these cells together you can see the formula would be [Store] =  12 and [Amount] = 16 and [Employee] =          12345

So if I did that in column G of my spreadsheet, could I then say that the value of my Filter tool in my workflow is equal to the formula in Column G?

3 REPLIES 3
ponraj
13 - Pulsar

possible to share sample data and desired output in an excel sheet ?

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yes that is possible.

If you always have a fixed number of columns as you describe I would use a formula tool to build into a single expression.

You can then use a batch macro to evaluate each condition against the dataset and return a true / false value.

Finally you can filter on this value.

Playing to build a sampe, I found it easier to transpose and summarise to create the formula.

2018-10-21_17-04-11.png

After that the batch macro can easily evaluate each row of data against each condition, creating a boolean column (Evaluate).

The final two joins just join back to the original input condition sheet.

robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your help :)

Labels