Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Partial Data Match on Same Column

kreynolds
7 - Meteor

Hello,

If someone could give me an idea for the following it would be very appreciated.

I am attempting to analyze a large amount of accounting expense transactions and show variance over periods. Within a given GL account and entity, I'd like to sum specific transactions by their description. My problem is that these descriptions have a lot of variance. So I would like to create a new column that will group the related transactions. My biggest issue arrises from the amount of variance with these descriptions. I believe a fuzzy match may do the trick but I haven't gotten lucky while messing around with the tool. Please see the example below. 

Any ideas??

DescriptionGoal
01/22 Electricity ExpenseElectric Expense
02/22 Electricity ExpenseElectric Expense
03/22 Electricity ExpenseElectric Expense
09/20 Window WashingWindow Washing
10/20 Window WashingWindow Washing
UtilitiesUtilities

3 REPLIES 3
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @kreynolds,

I think this is quite a complex problem for the simple example you gave a data Cleaning tool works just fine. After that I would recommend Regex or even perhaps the text mining tools depending on how difficult your issue is. I've attached the most basic approach: 

IraWatt_0-1651612744547.png

If you want any clarification make sure to ask :) 

HTH,

Ira 

kreynolds
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the response. Can you actually attach the flow so I can take a look? I see you messed with Fuzzy Match.

Data cleanse won't work because I need this to work for every description, some involving numbers. 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@kreynolds  OOoops sorry attached it now 

Labels