Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parsing text

TarunDeep
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

How can we break below string into 4 and take out dates and ID (R123456) from it. Not able to do it using RegEx

"X......................................................................................r.n...Advice..................Period...07.05.18..31.05.18......r.n.......R123456..........................Date.....29.05.2018....."

7 REPLIES 7
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@TarunDeep ,

I've used two RegEx tools to tokenize those values.

capture.png

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @TarunDeep 

I started out by isolating the values from the repeated '.' characters by first replacing repeated "."s with a "|" and then using that "|" to split those value to rows. Now that the values are isolated, RegEx based rules can identify the values you're interested in. 

Check out the attached workflow for an example. 

TarunDeep
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the solution. It worked for first 2 dates, but for the third, it always gives year as 20 ,but year in 3rd date is in full format i.e2019. So it should be 19 instead in Date3.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @TarunDeep ,

My solution looks really alike @MarqueeCrew , so credits to those who came first. 🙂

Only adding the part to remove 4 digit year.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@fmvizcaino,

Thanks for the call-out.  While it is up to @TarunDeep as the originator of the post to determine acceptance of a solution, the value to community is the breadth of answers.  Alteryx allows for many responses to be marked as "Accepted Solution".  Alteryx doesn't have a single answer.   Many roads lead to Rome.  I do appreciate the likes and solution acceptance actions.  They make my time seem valued.  We stopped to lend a hand and it makes me know that my time was valued when I get those notifications.  If it were up to me, I'd mark all of the posts as solves.

Hopefully, Alteryx engineers a change to community to encourage people to add solutions to "solved" challenges and can curate more discussions that help future users.  This post will undoubtedly be read from a "newbie" in the future and they will focus on the "SOLVE".  With more SOLVES they'll get more help.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
ephij
9 - Comet

great solution

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
@MarqueeCrew wrote:

Thanks for the call-out.  While it is up to @TarunDeep as the originator of the post to determine acceptance of a solution, the value to community is the breadth of answers.  Alteryx allows for many responses to be marked as "Accepted Solution".  Alteryx doesn't have a single answer.   Many roads lead to Rome.  I do appreciate the likes and solution acceptance actions.  They make my time seem valued.  We stopped to lend a hand and it makes me know that my time was valued when I get those notifications.  If it were up to me, I'd mark all of the posts as solves.

My use of RegEx, even in this solution, is a result of learning from @MarqueeCrew, et.al. The diversity of solutions we all have the ability to provide and learn from is what keeps me coming back to the Community again and again. 

Labels