Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parsing string data separated by commas

arundaka02
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone

I want to parse string data separated by a comma only from a survey response. Examples below: 

I would like to learn how to use the following tools or standard frameworks (survey response)Tool or standard framework 1 (desired output)Tool or standard framework 2 (desired output)

Tool or standard framework 3

(desired output)

Tool or standard framework 4 (desired output)

Example1, Example2, Example3, Example4Example1Example2Example3Example4
Example1, Example2, Example 3Example1Example2Example3 
Example1Example1   

Required criteria:

• The number of responses in the survey response column can range from none to 10+
  • Each separation needs to go into a new column, depicted in 'desired outcomes' columns above
  • Responses will always be separated by a comma only
  • Trailing spaces will need to be removed from each separation 
  • I have x4 columns in my dataset that the above needs applying to

I've tried using the Text to Columns tool but this doesn't appear to account for multiple responses very well and looks at one column only. 

Can anyone help?

Thanks

KA

4 REPLIES 4
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @arundaka02,

Yes it would be possible, since you're wanting to split dynamically i'd split to rows first and pivot the data back after!

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1598527573329.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @arundaka02 

Here's how I would do it

DavidP_0-1598528088843.png

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @arundaka02 ,

I have given it a go. The workflow is specific for four columns but generic in terms of what each column has.

Its an idea.

Hope it helps

arundaka02
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Jonathan-Sherman this has worked very well. 

You've been a great help today!

Labels