Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parsing log file data into different columns

jochnl
5 - Atom

Hi, I am a beginner at Alteryx, and to practise and learn I was trying to convert one of the log files was originally a plain text file with one line each row, separated by spaces and commas. I managed to use some simple tools to split it into columns and clean the data to look a little more structured, however, I am stuck at the step where I have do not know how to split the messages into variable columns. 

Alteryx.jpg

Since some of the rows store the warning message only they do not need to be parsed into a different column, however, other rows are storing the transaction data, which were stored in 1 string, separated by = and spaces. I tried to look up the language which is used for RegEx tool however I could not figure out a way to separate it properly. Appreciate if anyone could help show me how I could do this or point me into the right direction on how to achieve this. Thanks a lot !

4 REPLIES 4
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @jochnl 

Can you provide some sample data?

Dan

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

I'm not a RegEx expert, but the attached workflow should get you started.

Capture.PNG

jochnl
5 - Atom

Here is the sample data file and some steps which I already did, thanks for your help !

jochnl
5 - Atom

Thanks, this does solve my problem, I didn't know I could tokenize it into rows then combine them back by Cross Tab, thanks a lot ! 

Labels