community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE
SOLVED

Parsing data from single field and populating columns

Highlighted

Hello Alteryx Community,

I am new to Alteryx and I am currently trying to parse data from one single field, and then use that data to populate the column headers and the columns. I was able to transform the data I need into rows. However, I can't parse it into columns and create a header for each column. I have tried using RegEx and the cross tab tools but it's not working. Any tips or advice on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time!

Screenshot (59).pngThe data I need to parse is all in the DownloadData field.Screenshot (58).pngI was able to select the DownloadData and transpose it into columns. But how do I parse the columns headers and data from that one column?Screenshot (60).png

I got to this point but I am not sure how to proceed from now. I am still having a hard time figuring the configuration of the cross tab tool to populate the headers from DownloadData. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.Screenshot (62).png

Pulsar

hi @pharaphoks 

It sound like what you need to do is is use the Dynamic Rename tool to rename the columns based on the values in the 1st row.   You'll have to do it before you transpose your data.   The basic process is

1. Parse your initial data to columns

2. Use Dynamic Rename set to take Field Names from First Row of Data.

If you have any more problems, post some sample data in table format or as an attached excel sheet.  This will make it much easier for us to help you.

Dan

Quasar

Hi @pharaphoks ,

There are two approaches you can take to parsing this, one where you parse into columns (and set the # of columns in the Text to Columns tool), and another where you parse into rows (which is more dynamic as you don't need to know the exact number of columns)

image.png

With either approach, start by parsing into rows on the "\n" delimiter (end of line). Then you can choose. My attached workflow shows both.

If you want to parse again into rows, you need 2 unique identifiers. One to say which row this should be (the crosstab tool will use this as the Grouping field) and one to say which column this should be (the crosstab tool will use this as the column headers field).

The RecordID tool for the Row unique ID needs to come right after the first Text to Columns tool, so you're keeping your rows together. 

There are many ways to create that column identifier. I like the Tile tool, using Unique Value & grouping fields. This will count each row within each group.

After the crosstab, dynamic rename will pop the first row into headers. Choose "Take Field Names From First Row of Data"

Please let me know if this solves your challenge.

Cheers!

Esther

Thank you very much @EstherB47! I used the first method and it is so easy to implement. I am still new to Alteryx and I am not fully familiarized with all tools yet. Thank you so much again for your valuable tips!

Labels