Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parsing a delimited string with RegEx

AliAS2020
8 - Asteroid

Hello everyone,

While doing self practice on UseCae-1 from AlexKo's Tool Mastery | Cross Tab, I did parsed the delimited string using a RegEx, although my RegEx produced an extra column holding the parsed delimiter with spaces but the expression worked fine and just needed to delete the extra column with Select Tool.

Sample of the input dataSample of the input data

As you can see from the snapshot that the (-) exist as delimiter and also part of the name, so I wrote the below RegEx

(\u*)((?:\s[-]\s)|(?:[-]\s))(.*)

My question is what is a cleaner way to write the expression? I am new to RegEx and hope to get more experience to use this powerful tool.

Thanks for the help.

AliAS

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @AliAS2020 

Change your expression to (\u*)\s*-\s*(.*).  The start and end capture groups are the same as yours.  The middle part in green matches zero or spaces followed by a hyphen followed by zero or spaces.  There are no brackets around the middle, so it won't be captured as a column, removing the need for the extra Select tool to remove it.

Dan

AliAS2020
8 - Asteroid

Hi @danilang 

Thanks that helped a lot, I did something similar but it didn't work since I kept the brackets, now this is a cleaner version and no need to the extra select tool.

Stay safe

AliAS

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @AliAS2020,

There is a cleaner way to parse the data using RegEx for this example.  Try using a RegEx parse with the formula (\u*)\s*-\s+(.*)

The delimiter is a dash followed by a space, but sometimes preceded by a space, which is the \s*-\s+ where:

\s*     zero or more spaces

-        dash (not required to be in brackets as it is not a special character)

\s+    one or more spaces

By not including the delimiter in a marked groups it avoids the need to data cleanse it out later.  I have attached how I would solve this (in Container 98).  Note changes to default field settings in the Multi-Row Formula and Cross Tab tools and the name change to the Output root name in the Text to Columns 

Labels