community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Parsing XBRL

Meteoroid

Hi there,

So I am looking for the ability to parse xbrl. I was told, that an R-package for Parsing XBRL, could be the problem solver - does anyone have experience with using such a package in alteryx? (please note that I am autodidact, so no professional code experience on my end - only google )

I am looking for a solution, where I can pass a url pointing towards a specific xml file. (see attached file)

Appreciate your help!

@

@danielbrun

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi!

Great to meet you at the event in Denmark!

I'll give you a peek at some of the work I've pulled together for you around parsing XBRL - it has a very small amount of R code behind the scenes (so you'll need to have the Predictive Tools downloaded and installed) but I've wrapped the R code into a couple of macros that will allow you some 'insulation' from the code itself. This approach should allow you to use your Alteryx skills to blend the data returned from R much more easily. 

Currently, this version of the tools requires a URL that returns the XBRL rather than working on a local file (e.g. in this demo we're bringing back financials that are filed with the SEC for the stock DATA - Tableau). 

Let me know if we're on the right track here?

Cheers,

Nick

Nick Jewell | Alteryx Product Strategy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Jalo,

One option would be an R package, I've never personally dealt with one to do this though.... If you have taxonomy docs as well, then that may be worth investigating. But here is how I would approach it without R (not a full solution, just providing ideas to get you started), with the view that you would probably make a Macro/Input Tool out of this once you define the common methods. You could then just use that Macro on each file...

You can bring this data into Alteryx by using the download tool, however the XBRL style may take some work. It looks similar to XMLA whereby most of the info is in the tags. Whenever I have played with XMLA, I usually split the XML file into the fields that have a lot of info in the identifiers and the ones that have tag values like 'standard' XML.

Take a look at the attached, it should give you a nice starting point... don't be scared by the REGEX, I tried to keep it simple. brackets denote a marked group and (.*?) basically grabs everything before the next operand...

Note, in order to tag people, type @<theretag> and select them from the list, rather than typing it manually...

Kane

Alteryx
Alteryx

Oh, @NickJ beat me to the punch, by the looks of things, with a more complete solution too....

Alteryx
Alteryx

Follow-the-sun community support! :-)

Meteoroid

Great news - thank you Nick for your swift response. And good to meet you in person. I will be looking forward to testing it next week, as I dont have Alteryx 11 yet. Seems like I am not allowed to run the package because of my current version. Alteryx 11 will be available to me next week, so I will eagerly anticipate the testing of the solution. Have a great weekend!

/Jacob (JALO)

Meteoroid

Thank you so much for your help on this issue. Unfortunately I am stuck with Alteryx 10 untill next week - my current version will not accept the file. So again, to things to come next week. I wish you a wonderful weekend.

/Jacob (JALO)

and yes, I officially suc* at this forum... please forgive me.

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Jacob, 

I've manually adjusted the files in this attachment to be 10.x compatible - see if that helps in the short-term?

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Nick

Meteoroid

Thank you again! I have to wait for security clearance before I can run the workflow. But it looks great, cant wait to try it out.

/jacob

Labels