Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse text 1 row into multiple rows

jimmytpnguyen
5 - Atom

Hi there,

I'd like to read text from input data then based on the values convert into multiple rows, see below.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Input Data
[5510,5511,5551,6701,6700,8544,5512,5513]

Output Data
3 REPLIES 3
ctthornb123
7 - Meteor

I'm not sure if this needs to be dynamic but I think you just need to clear the brackets using a replace formula, then use text to columns tool to split to columns by using the comma as a delimiter.  Then transpose all the data and clear out the nulls.  I set the text to columns tool to 25 columns but this can be adjusted depending on the number of records you may need to account for in the data.  However, the # of columns cannot exceed 1000 so we will need to look at a different solution if that's the case.

See attached workflow

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hello @jimmytpnguyen

The solution the @ctthornb123 provided will work, but there is a more dynamic way to split to rows.  Use the Text To Columns tool and configure it to split to rows.  This will place each item on a new row with out requiring the transpose tool. This is also an option with the RegEx tool.

Split to rows.png

To remove the brackets you can use Trim(field1,"[]") in a formula tool.

Split to rows wf.png

See the attached for the complete workflow.

Dan

jimmytpnguyen
5 - Atom

Great! thank you so much.

Labels