Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse string data from survey

arundaka03
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone

I need help parsing string data from survey responses. Typically I've used the Text to Columns tool but I think this data exceeds its limits on its own. 

Essentially one of the responses includes commas within the selection that is not in brackets, quotes or parenthesis, so the response surrounding Black, Asian representation is split into different columns. 

I've seen the RegEx tool being used in other posts but I'm not familiar with the expression syntax. Alternative was maybe using a parse-related function in Formula such as replace or contains??

Data set attached. 

Many thanks,

KA

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Maybe something like this that replaces the word "Has" with "|Has" so that you can use it as a delimiter:

BrandonB_0-1638300831214.png

Workflow is attached

arundaka03
7 - Meteor

Hey @BrandonB. Any suggestions on how I remove the unwanted comma within my new column? Any comma which appears at the end of my string in the column. 

Wanted to use Data Cleanse tool to remove punctuation but can't configure appropriately

TrimRight looks like a possibility but not clear to me how I would configure based on this: https://help.alteryx.com/20213/designer/string-functions#:~:text=Trim(String%2C%20y)%20%3A,order%20t....

arundaka03
7 - Meteor

No problem - solved with Fomula and TrimRight !

Labels