Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse out user id with RegEx

lahughes
7 - Meteor

I have a column of data that has first name, last name (user_id).  It looks like:

lname, fname (c709979)

I want to parse out the user_id text into its own column, without the parenthesis.

Is RegEx the best way to do this or is there another tool I should use instead?

If RegEx, than what would the context look like?

Thanks,

Larry

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@lahughes,

Create yourself a UserID field with the following formula:

REGEX_Replace([Field1], ".*\((\w+)\)", '$1')

Whatever is within the parenthesis will become the userid.  Just change Field1 to your incoming data.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
lahughes
7 - Meteor

Thank you Mark.  That worked perfect.  Appreciate the help.

I struggle with the proper syntax of the RegEx tool.  I have used the online help and articles, and understand the overall idea, but when it come to writing the actual statement I can never get it to output what I want.  I guess just more practice and time will help in me understanding the symbols and the structure to use.

Thanks,

Larry

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@lahughes,

For me, it was learning by trial and error.  There is a tool-mastery series (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-RegEx/ta-p/37689) article and some training that is available.  Initially, I was using TheRegExCoach (http://download.cnet.com/The-Regex-Coach/3000-2056_4-10795049.html) software and have used RegEx101 (https://regex101.com/) to assist me.  It really wasn't until I started trying to help others on the community that I became efficient (not in comparison with @AdamR or @jdunkerley79) in the use of the expressions. 

I've thought about having a User Group session focused on the use of Regular Expressions.  I approach the use of RegEx not as a developer, but rather as an analyst in the Line Of Business.  I find a solution path that works for my needs and once functional, I move to the next requirement in the workflow.  As I've learned more, I realize that there are better ways to handle the requirements.  Even in the solution responses to other posts, I can see the artistry of some answers and hope to retain their elegance in my future posts.

If you would like to have a WebEx where I can help you (and potentially others) I would be open to helping you.  Please PM me if you are interested and I'll see what we can arrange.

Cheers,

Mark

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Larry,

P.S.  Here is a screen capture from RegEx101 for the question at hand....

Capture.png

Labels