Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse out specific words from a column

Anantv
6 - Meteoroid

Greetings:

I have a column with error messages (Message). I need to pick particular phase and add it to a new column (Error).

I tried using RedEx Tokenize - \w missing an as-built - the output looks like "s missing an as-built" which picks up letter "s" from previous word.

Also, I am not able to pick up "open commitment" from the next row. Should I be using another RegEx tool?

MessageError
123 is missing an as-built. This rule checks whether an as-built exists for a work order. missing as-built
546 has open commitment This rule tests whether an open commitment exists. open commitment

Appreciate your assistance.

Regards

Viji

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

If you are happy to write the different criteria then you could use a contains statement...

if contains([Message],"missing as-built") then "missing as-built"

elseif contains[Message],"open commitment" then "open commitment"

else "No error" endif

Alternatively, check out this post too: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Using-IN-within-a-Contains-function/td-p/...

If this doesn't work perhaps I'm missunderstanding what you are trying to acheive :)

Ben

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Anantv,

I have a macro in the gallery that allows you to put multiple "contains" arguments as an in-list option.

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Contains-In-List/5a5903fda18e9e2508e5ae0d

Try that and see if it fits your need.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Anantv
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, BenMoss. If Contains worked for me. 

Anantv
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, MarqueeCrew. Downloaded your macro to try it out.

Labels